Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Other Aspects of My Father - Rebaapragada Subba Rao Garu (Posted on behalf of Bojji Babayaa)

He was an accomplished athlete. He played for his College: (1) Hockey, being the Captain of the Team and there used to be a picture of his with a big trophy in our Innispeta house (it could be with Suribabu); (2) He was a great Soccer Player, once again played for the College team, and a founding member of the very famous Soccer Club " Nimbles" in Rajahmundry; and (3) and won many medals in Track and Field events. The Nimbles he and his fellow athletes founded produced famous players that went on to play for other Pro Clubs in India such as Mohan Bagan & East Bengal. They used to host a very popular Soccer Tournament in RJY. Because he did not do so well in academics, he did not allow his sons to undertake intensive activities in sports, but allowed us to participate in a modest way. We were all chased out in the evening to play some sport after school and return home for the evening meal before sunset.

In addition to all above, he was a great orator and when gave speeches in English the audience used to sit and listen spell bound. He encouraged all my elder brothers to participate in debates, and they received awards.

Having lost him at my age of 12 the above were things narrated to me by elders in Rajahmundry who were his contemporaries on many occasions.

His training and a sense of "Dharma" instilled by him was the main reason that my brothers each to their God given capacity brought me up and gave me 6 years of university education and made me academically what I am now. They never took back a single penny from me and they did this with a loving heart that exemplifies the best practice of " Dharma". I cherish them all the time.

So let us make a commitment and get nourishment from the roots through which that we have emanated, and discharge our respective " Dharma" as a Team.

No comments: