Monday, April 28, 2008



Rebbapragada Subba Rao Garu (Tatagaru)

I did not have the fortune to meet or talk to tatagaru but I guess he is with us always. Tatagaru passed away on 26th May 1948 (vysakha bahula chaviti) .

All I know of tatagaru is through the characteristics of my late father. I guess the discipline, straight forwardness, strict regimentation, religious bent of mind, visiting temples and doing regular poojas, philosophical attitude, morality as derived form poetry/satakams, attention to detail, perfectionism are all characteristics that my father imbibed from Tatagaru. Infact these characteristics are very clearly visible in Babayya’s and Rani Attayya.

I recall my father telling me frequently about Tatagaru.
Tatagaru was an ardent devotee of Shiva and once had darshan/sakshatkaram/ vision of Shiva after offering prayers in a Shivalayam.
I also recall my father telling me quite often how tatagaru made them read and by heart Telugu Satakams and sing Brahma Samaj keerthanams. Now i really wonder how he managed that , because try as he may, my father couldnt and gave up on me very soon. :)

Today I had a chat with my mother and later with Nirmala akka, and this was what they had to share about Tatagaru:

Mother:

When daddy was in the Royal Navy, Tatagaru used to go regularly to Shivalayam and on returning from the temple, used to give a flower to mom.

On Shivaratri he used to do abhishekam in Shivalayam. In Karthikamasam he used to do Lakshapatri pooja in Shivalayam on every Monday and on Karthika Poornami. The prayers would be followed by Annadanam to the poor.

At home Tatagaru used to make everybody do prayer in the morning and sing Brahma Samaj Keerthanalu. This is one of the songs we used to regularly listen my father sing :

“O Natha Neeguna Okavanthu Telisina Vani Janmame Janmamu”

Tatagaru used to do his daily prayers before going to office/court.

Bhamma also used to do pooja every day and this included Bhagavad Geeta Paarayanam.

All festivals were celebrated in a grand manner.

Tatagaru used to go for a walk with his friend Dr Gurumurthy (Who was also our family doctor in Rajahmundry).

Tatagaru used to go to adjacent towns in a motor boat (launchi) for court work.

He was very upright and never used to abuse or speak ill about anyone and was extremely good natured. He had no bad habits and was a strict disciplinarian. He was very equanimous and took good care of every one in the family.

Nirmala Akka:

When Nirmalakka met Devulapalli Venkata Krishna Sastry (a famous telugu poet) he told her that Tatagaru used to invite poets for Kavi Sammelanams on Vennala Rathrulu (full moon nights). He loved poetry.

A Bikshagadu (madakolam) who used to sing very well used to come during night time and Tatagaru used to make him sit in the verandah and make him sing.

Tatagaru used to sit in a Padaka Kurchi in the verandah with the grand children in his lap. He used to make them sing Maa Telugu Talliki mallepoodanda

Tatagaru used to call Satyabhama – Eduvaraala Bangaram (Pure Gold).

He was a very quiet person.

Tatagaru passed away when Mother was carrying Babu (Markandeya Subba Rao) and later on when Babu passed away at the age of eleven, it was felt strongly by my father, that Tatagaru himself was born as Babu to complete the following desires/ tasks he left unfinished:

• To go abroad (which Babu did for diagnosing his heart problem). Tatagaru had a strong desire to go abroad.
• To go around in Cars (which Babu did). Tatagaru loved cars and wanted to go around in Cars.

• To see a different person in my father. Which he accomplished. Babu’s passing away saw a sea change in my father. He was a totally different person afterwards.



Other Aspects of My Father - Rebaapragada Subba Rao Garu (Posted on behalf of Bojji Babayaa)

He was an accomplished athlete. He played for his College: (1) Hockey, being the Captain of the Team and there used to be a picture of his with a big trophy in our Innispeta house (it could be with Suribabu); (2) He was a great Soccer Player, once again played for the College team, and a founding member of the very famous Soccer Club " Nimbles" in Rajahmundry; and (3) and won many medals in Track and Field events. The Nimbles he and his fellow athletes founded produced famous players that went on to play for other Pro Clubs in India such as Mohan Bagan & East Bengal. They used to host a very popular Soccer Tournament in RJY. Because he did not do so well in academics, he did not allow his sons to undertake intensive activities in sports, but allowed us to participate in a modest way. We were all chased out in the evening to play some sport after school and return home for the evening meal before sunset.

In addition to all above, he was a great orator and when gave speeches in English the audience used to sit and listen spell bound. He encouraged all my elder brothers to participate in debates, and they received awards.

Having lost him at my age of 12 the above were things narrated to me by elders in Rajahmundry who were his contemporaries on many occasions.

His training and a sense of "Dharma" instilled by him was the main reason that my brothers each to their God given capacity brought me up and gave me 6 years of university education and made me academically what I am now. They never took back a single penny from me and they did this with a loving heart that exemplifies the best practice of " Dharma". I cherish them all the time.

So let us make a commitment and get nourishment from the roots through which that we have emanated, and discharge our respective " Dharma" as a Team.


(Baba: I suggest and strongly recommend all Rebbapragada’s to read Many Lives, Many Masters written by Dr Brian Weiss) .....

No comments: